Tuesday, October 19, 2021

A Comedy of Errors

 I woke at 5:15 and decided I could go back to sleep. The alarm on the phone is set for 7 am. Except I didn't hear it at 7.Instead, I woke at 8 I didn't think it was a major problem. My sister was coming down I was not tied to the bus schedule. Except she wasn't coming down.

Still, no problem I thought I had to be at the Sheriff's today to do my weekly check in, so no one thought I was up to mischief in the City of Muncie. I studied the bus schedule. I thought I had the right times.

In addition I had to make a promised meeting with a potential employer at 11. I spent some time on the computer and talked to KH and K to see if the phone was working. See, the phone remains unreliable - other than its camera and voice mail and alarm - and the best I can figure out is that so long as their is wi-fi I can make and receive calls. 

Anyway, I walked over to the Mall and left with the impression that if my new job would put me on days I had another job. I bought a belt for the new job at Target and came back to the room. Where I  made myself a little lunch before catching the bus downtown. This when I realized I had made a grievous misreading of the schedule.

The bus for the Justice Center was leaving at 1 pm. I caught the Whitely bus at 12:56. I had gotten the bus wrong by 30 minutes. I had a solution for this problem: get the Ivy Tech bus and walk the mile over to the Justice Center. Which is how I did not miss registering at the Justice Center.

They have a metal detector at the Justice Center. That is how I had another problem: I did not have the key to my room. I had left prepared to go to work; I even had my overcoat for the walk back from work. Now I needed to get back to the motel.

I decided I could do this if I walked back and caught the Ivy Tech bus back downtown to catch the Whitely bus. So off I go walking.

Except I missed the Ivy Tech bus three times. The first miss came from my not walking fast enough to catch the in-bound bus. I missed the outbound bus because I looking up the bus schedule on my phone and neither saw nor heard the bus's approach. Okay, I would catch it in-bound. This time I had given up on its return - I got the idea it may have taken another route back, it was taking much too much time. I had started looking. for the outbound Justice Center bus. I even enter entertained the idea of calling K to save me. But these Muncie buses are bloody quiet and I turned around to see the inbound Ivy Tech bus rolling away.

Okay, I did more consulting of the bus schedules. I had an outbound Justice Center bus in my future and I could catch the North Walnut bus and I might enough to get myself back to the motel and then onto work. I didn't miss the Justice Center bus. I caught the North Walnut bus.

What I didn't understand is that the North Walnut Street bus also acts as a school bus. We stopped at Muncie Central High School. I lost my time advantage. I had to be at work on time. It was my first day. I need money. I never really liked schoolkids but today I hated them.

Somewhere between the high school and McGalliard I remembered I had the motel's number on my phone. Luckily, the phone worked and I called and explained the problem. I went off to eat. Getting a small plate of spaghetti at Pizza King took so long I almost still showed up late for work. I was late by two minutes because they couldn't find a shirt for me.

Work was long but busy. It did feel good to be doing something to further my goal of being gainfully employed. I was in the back doing dishes except I was running clean dishes back to where they could be used. I worked 6 hours and 42 minutes before walking back to the motel. I got the spare key from the front desk to let myself back. My own key lay on the bed. I dealt with my email and I started this post

See this is how it is for me. I no longer practice any law but Murphy's. I am my own director of ridiculous behavior.  There was a time I would have taken this as a lesson that my life was a farce that needed a final current. I have learned these past 11 years. Understand now why I call this blog Educating Sam Hasler.

Have a good day.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment