Thursday, July 8, 2021

I Don't Know Greg Gerke

 But he made me think when I read this:

Greg Gerke: I think a little bit. But this can really be nailed down, I think, to the year 2000. I think that was the real shift in both literature and cinema. Something happened, and from that date onward, there has been much, much less great art. And people were talking about it—maybe it’s because that’s when the conglomerates really got into the book industry, certainly. I mean, they were already there in the film. You remember the late 90s and the mid 90s, Foster Wallace, DeLillo, cetera. There has been nothing like that. I’m mainly talking fiction, but even poetry has certainly fallen off. Something happened then. It’s hard to put, but I think it’s about money and conglomerates. There is a bounty of great art in the past, and there’s been a steep dropoff in the last 20 years. There’s no doubt in my mind. Technology played a big part in this as well. The internet started to rev up around the year 2000, social media in the last ten years. Our concerns have been elsewhere. We want more attention, we don’t want to make great art necessarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment