Friday, October 4, 2024

Writing In Prison - Some News

 When I was in Fort Dix FCI, the federal Bureau of Prison got the hives when they considered letting the inmates have computers. There was supposed to be a lab that taught the Word and maybe Excel, which would not be connected tot he internet, but then as almost as soon as those computers appeared, they also disappeared. 

Now, they do have. I have not heard from Charlie G in over 6 months, but he was engrossed with his tablet when we last communicated.

Why the change? I agree with Lifeline, Cash-Grab, Tool for Censorship: Three Incarcerated Readers on eBooks in Prison about the cash grab. It is also like the televisions a way of keeping the inmates occupied without providing any rehabilitative services that might cost the government any money.

We did not have word processors, but only typewriters. It was the considered opinion of those who were doing legal work (not me, I only listened in) that it was to make eveit n more difficult the inmates to pursue their legal claims. So, I can vouch for some of Why I’m So Desperate for the Return of Microsoft Word to Our Prison Library By Robert Lee Williams.

If nothing else good has come from getting the laptop on which I am now working, it is to have once more the use of spell checking. You, the ones never incarcerated, will not understand the wonder of spell check.

sch 9/22




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment