Sunday, January 29, 2023

The Virtues: Aristotle and The Bible, 6-26-2010

 I figure I got ahead of myself by talking about virtues without giving them names.

What I get from Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics:

  1. Bravery
  2. Temperance
  3. Generosity
  4. Magnificence
  5. Magnanimity
  6. Virtue concerned with small virtues
  7. Mildness
  8. Friendliness
  9. Truthfulness
  10. Justice
  11. Prudence
  12. Wisdom

This comes from Wisdom of Solomon 8, 7:

Or if one loves justice, the first fruits of her works are virtues: For she teaches moderation, and prudence, justice and fortitude, and nothing else in life is more useful for men than these.

And now consider Ephesians 5, 15-17:

Watch carefully then how you live, not as foolish persons but as wise, making the most of the opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not continue in ignorance, but try to understand what is the will of the Lord.

The New Testament recognizes the need for wisdom. As with Aristotle, the virtues require a lifelong learning experience.

I do not see anything wrong with looking at Aristotle for the meaning of prudence and moderation and justice, and other Christian virtues. Our brains need fodder for thinking, which is the only means of reaching wisdom.

I worry that I walk on ground well trampled; I apologize for any blundering. Here you see me working out my ideas in plain view.

sch

[If anyone sees a mistake, or has a criticism of my ignorance, please add a comment below. Thanks. sch 12/19/22.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment