Saturday, December 24, 2022

American Constitutions - 5 Theses on Religion, 6-15-2010, Pt. 2

[Continued from American Constitutions - 5 Theses on Religion, 6-15-2010, Pt. 1. sch 11/7/22.] 

Problem: what happens when religion no longer provides a unified ethical outlook?

Here the problem comes from those with no religious background opposed to those who do. I also can see a problem coming from sects emphasizing less the ethical duties owed to others than some other part of our religion.

[I do not like the preceding paragraph. The second sentence was even more nonsensical than the original. I could write now we see the problem of the first sentence is embodied in Donald J. Trump's non-religion and lack of Christian ethics, but I wrote that sentence in 2010. I devalued the problem of other Christian sects, and then expressed the idea in a very poor way. History has too many examples of Christians killing other Christians in defiance of Christianity's ethical principles. I think the framers of our first American constitutions had to have in their minds the example of The Thirty Years War, the English Civil War, and, maybe, the Fourth Crusade. I knew all of that when I wrote that paragraph, and in addition, I knew about The Northern Ireland Troubles. The political danger posed by Christianity comes from Christians killing other Christians in the name of the Prince of Peace. We see that problem now, but the problem always existed for those who could see. I knew in 2010, but did not see. sch 11/7/22.]

As the major religions share a large segment of ethical concerns (does any religion approve of murder or theft?), I am far less concerned with the dangers of a pluralistic religious universe.

What happens when the Golden Rule means those with the gold rule? What becomes of society when we say “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” but mean "Do unto others who look and act like we do as you would have them do unto you, but treat all others differently"?

Notice, I am not talking about actions open to litigation. Even in my former life as a lawyer, I had to admit not every injury merits a remedy. (That was a common law idea, too. Some things we must just live with.) What I am talking about occurs further down the plant, towards the root.

Every state constitution creates a duty upon the state government for providing a free and equal education. I think Jefferson wrote about a representative government requiring an educated citizenry.

I f religion cannot provide an ethical education, then the states must do so. That they fail to do so needs to be debated as to the failure's cause.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment