Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Evangelicalism

I left the American Baptist Church in 1979. I never had an inclination for atheism but I had lost faith in the church. 

I found Protestant doctrine lacking logic. An example: if baptism is a rebirth then how can one be baptized more than once? There seemed to be a smallness to Protestantism.

Until I read The Hedgehog Review's The Evangelical Question in the History of American Religion, I did not know how well-known was my reaction to Protestantism:

...Protestantism is an important case for many sociologists who study how sacred reality “shrank” in the early modern world: Over time Reformers reduced the number of sacraments, shunned prayers for the dead, and made prayers for the intercession of the saints less central. This process of erosion left Protestantism bereft of what Berger calls the three most powerful and ancient “concomitants” of the sacred: mystery, miracle, and magic.9 Nevertheless, Protestants retained one solitary, though powerful, channel for encountering God—the Bible, whose access and meaning could be privately interpreted.

 Until I began seriously studying Orthodox Christianity, I was a nominal Christian. That is I knew myself a sinner and without any any choice other than continuing in my sinning. The Orthodox Church showed I was wrong, that there was a way to live.  (For a place to start - JOURNEY TO ORTHODOXY blog.)

Orthodoxy retained all that Protestantism sloughed off. With Orthodoxy, Christianity. Orthodoxy stands outside secularization and against white nationalism. Give it a look for a healthier, more robust Christianity.

sch 8/7/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment