Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Writer: David Foster Wallace

If you have been reading me, you know I have a problem with David Foster Wallace. For newbies this link will lead you to an explanation.

Newbies might will also not notice how often I cherry pick from The Brisbane Times. It has a wonderful books section run by people who can write and an email newsletter. Who would be the Australians were so literate!

And from the Brisbane newspaper comes David Foster Wallace was a genius, now let me convince you to read him. The article does its best to convince that its argument is the correct one. 

As for the best place to start, I think the answer lies in his non-fiction. Try his scintillating essay about a bad luxury cruise, A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again, which appears in the collection of the same name. If that doesn’t make you fall in love with Wallace, nothing will.

I did like the essays I read more than I liked his Infinite Jest. However, I think this article foes better than admitted in explaining why we should care about Wallace: he was an inventive, beautiful writer.

sch 4/22/33


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment