Monday, September 27, 2021

Writing Habits - Dealing with Pain

I cannot do as advised because I am in a spot of catch as catch can - I do not have a computer or even a room of my own - but others may find it helpful reading Craft Capsule: The “Routine” of Writing With Chronic Pain by Anjali Enjeti.\

I’m not alone. Many writers write while in pain and find ways to produce compelling work. In the Paris Review Daily, Nafissa Thompson-Spires described writing with chronic illness this way: “It means something to me to be able to produce when something is daily trying to take me out.” I couldn’t agree more. Some days I can’t get out of bed. Often I have to write while lying on my stomach, propped up on my elbows in a modified Sphinx pose, my back covered in ice packs. Still, I manage to find a way to write words that I’m proud of.

Chronic pain has made me reassess what it means to maintain a creative writing practice, and what this creative writing practice can or should look like. When my three children were little, I figured out how to write around their sleep schedules and stomach viruses. But chronic pain tosses my intentions to write at a certain time or on a specific day out the window. It has therefore forced me to challenge traditional notions of writing productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment