Wednesday, July 14, 2021

D.H Lawrence on the Novel part 1

 I am trying to get in some of  D.H. Lawrence's critical essays through the interlibrary loan program - which has been spotty and cranky of late. I know he wrote criticism and I am thinking reading his critical works might give me more of an understanding about why Lawrence is an important writer. I tmay also help me think about my own writing. Until then there is this from Chapter IX from Lady Chatterley's Lover:

... For even satire is a form of sympathy. It is the way our sympathy flows and recoils hat really determines our lives and here lies the vast importance of the novel, properly handled. It can inform and lead into new places the flow of our sympathetic consciousness, and it can lead our sympathy away in  recoil from things gone dead. Therefore, the novel, properly handled, can reveal the most secret places of life: for it is in the passional secret places of life, above all, that the tide of sensitive awareness needs to ebb and flow, cleansing and freshening.

{To be continued]

sch 

2/21/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment