Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Great Plans Going Nowhere - Ukraine, Harlan Ellison, Exhaustion, Indiana Might Change

I got out of work early enough that I should have been able to get to the BMV. Then it came to catching the bus. I walked down to Powers and Kilgore, to find them resurfacing the street. I decided the bus might not come down this far, so I walked into town. There was a fellow waiting at Mound, and he told he had called MITS and the bus was on its way. Then the bus did show up. This started about an hour odyssey. The bus could got get to Jackson, so he went back on Adams to Mound, and then down to Batavia before getting back on his usual route. I got off work around 12:20 and arrived downtown around 1:20.

I was exhausted to the point my brain wanted to just shut down. I ate at Chesterfield's, IVY Tech's student-run restaurant, and made time calculations. I would get stuck out at the BMV during the disruption caused by MITS delivering the school kids. The grilled ham and cheese was excellent. I decided to walk home.

There I crashed. I blacked out and stayed out so long that walking the laundry over was unappealing. 

Nor do I feel like cooking. Dinner was hummus and bread.

Also, I put off working on my latest story, but I edited my email and this post.

I did listen to the debate. Meh. It will change nothing.

Now for what I collected for this post.

Thank you for sending us "Problem Solving". We regret that we are unable to publish your work because, as writers, we understand how much work goes into creating and submitting your pieces. We appreciate your interest in Glassworks and wish you the best of luck.


Sincerely,


Glassworks Editors 

www.rowanglassworks.org

I forgot to mention "Problem Solving" went out on Sunday to The Adroit Journal and "No Ordinary Word" went to Southern Indiana Review.

Interesting news lies in Braun hits McCormick with negative, digitally altered ad in governor’s race.

The Braun campaign didn’t comment on the negative strategy, which marks a new stage in the governor’s race following the news that Inside Elections dropped the race’s rating from “Solid Republican” to “Likely Republican” last week. 

The decision came following a new poll paid for by the Democratic Governors Association that found McCormick trailing behind Braun by just three points. McCormick’s strengths in the release came down to her ability to better consolidate her party’s support and her lead among independent voters. 

May we see change in Indiana? 

About Russian Orthodoxy and the Ukrainian War, Public Orthodoxy's The Russian Orthodox Church and the Babylonian-Byzantine Legacy by Fadi Abu-Deeb might be an eye-opener. Okay, the opening few paragraphs are a bit of heavy sledding, especially since the writer is obviously not all that fluent in English. However, if you go along, it shines a light on why the Ukrainian War is religious and imperialistic. It should also serve as a warning that everyone from America warming up to Putin, is warming up to someone who wants to eradicate our way of living because we are the devil's spawn. Probably hard to swallow that the Russians think of themselves as protecting Christianity, when that was how we thought of ourselves against the Soviet Union. 

In these paragraphs, Solovyov’s moral(ist) and supra-historical insight of Russia’s destiny is clearly pronounced. For him, love and mercy are what distinguishes a Christian kingdom, in addition to the above-mentioned progressive mentality and being established upon free personhood. However, he states that he never finds anything in the collective life of the nation that may be seen to balance evil and moral decay thereof, whether in the life of the state or that of people, including the continuous recourse to armed power in conflicts.[30] According to Solovyov, Christianity in Old Byzantium was a mere mental and speculative matter, and a reason for national pride.[31] Here, however, he seems aware that a historical kingdom is not required to be perfect. Again, his moral-historical logic seems to move along the lines of progress and historical transformation, hence his assertion that “Byzantium perished, certainly not because it was imperfect but because it did not want to perfect itself [совершентсвоваться].”[32] ٍ Solovyov, herein, seems to allude to a state of imbalance in the collective state of affairs, where evil becomes the most powerful and good is far behind it, so that any possible counterbalance is out of question.[33] It is this state of imbalance, and duplicity, that Solovyov warns the 19th century Russia about, and that speaks very loudly to the ROC today, being almost totally identified with the political and military ambitions of the higher political authority.

I want to see Megalopolis, but I need to have more energy. This cramping up and such exhaustion that all I want to do is sleep is getting on my nerves. Why do I want to see Megalopolis? Because of Sonny Burke's review. Better to see a glorious misfire than a mediocre certainty.

I cannot remember if I have mentioned Unbound: A Collection of Indiana Stories from The Indiana Historical Society, but there it is for you.

I love Harlan Ellison. The first time I read Ellison was a bit less than 40 years. He is now dead, his work is hard to find, but now a new anthology is coming out: Harlan Ellison’s final anthology ‘Last Dangerous Visions’ features influential voices in speculative fiction.

“The Last Dangerous Visions” ($27.99, Blackstone Publishing), the third and final installment of Ellison’s seminal anthology series finally published this fall. That, along with three additional new Ellison-related books, have made this fall a new Ellison wonderland.

I did get to the story after 8 PM. 

I overslept this morning.  No, I do not feel like going to work. Yes, I must get to the BMV today.

Google unpublished a 9/13 post, but I am not sure why.

I submitted "Road Tripping" to a contest.

Now, I got to work. Running behind, as usual.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment