Saturday, April 20, 2024

Old News, New Stuff

I still feel the effects of Wednesday. Worn out enough that I would have stayed in bed for the past three days. It was a struggle getting up this morning and I slept like 8 hours. This has been the closest to a serious relapse of my depression that has occurred since 2010. Prison was such a shelter from the strains stress generated by family.

I came over to Bracken Library last night - too tired after work on Thursday. All I managed to do after work was get downtown to AppeThai. Great food. When I was done, I felt more like staying home. I was probably down by 7 pm.

My oldest sister called me and I called her back. I still have not gotten the Gabb phone fixed. On the plans for today. I went for dinner at Chava's without getting through all my emails and when the bus came by going north, I decided I was too tired to want to be walking home at 9 pm or after. Staying awake that late was also an open question.

I got up slowly at 5 pm and crawled out of bed in 30 minutes. No pop, so I walked down to the Village Pantry. I showered after getting my dose of caffeine and sugar. Bracken Library opened at 7 am, so I turned off NPR and decided to hoof it over to BSU. I did stop at Jack's Donuts - more sugar. When I got to the library, it was closed. It does into open until 9 am on Saturdays. Well, that allows for recovery from hangovers. 

Faced with the question of going back to the apartment to gather my laundry, or just hanging around for a a half hour, I decided to check out the student union (what was the Tally Ho 40 years ago). Turns out the wi-fi also operates here. There is also food handy.

This headline came through the email: The closure of the historic Mark III Tap Room impacts Muncie’s LGBTQ+ community. Hard to believe, Forty  years ago, I would drive past the Mark heading from work at The Island and the place was packed. When I heard Muncie had a gay bar, I did not believe it did. That was closer to 44 years ago. Now, it is hard believing it is going away. It did figure in a practical joke I played on KH that I will not repeat here.

However, after a pipe burst in its 306 South Walnut Street location in January 2024, the Mark III Tap Room faced water damage, leading to its closure for the foreseeable future. Access to the bar's resources, performances and community outreach have been lost.

Strange how many bars Muncie has lost since 2010. Changing demographics or worsening economics or Covid.

Good Lord, it is more like a mass migration! Close the doors! It is in the forties today.

And now at 10:40, I look up to see an invading army. Some sort of sales trip for potential students? I see one Anderson H.S. jacket passing me by. There is a booth to my left and a Starbucks to my left.

The Self-Immolation of the AZ GOP (the old news)

Delaware County will need better Italian restaurants: Delaware County to Welcome Three Italian Companies. Anyone reading this blog from Madison County and wondering what is now the difference between Muncie and Anderson should read this article. Imagination is one factor.

I am going to take a chance and leave here for a second.

sch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment