Thursday, April 20, 2023

Chasing Money Unto Slipping and Sliding

Tuesday morning, I made my pilgrimage to the sheriff. Instead of waiting around for the 11:30 bus, I walked up to Memorial/12th Street to catch the 312 bus. I saw some rabbit fur and innards and assume something had a rabbit dinner. I spent some money at the Speedway store - a slice of pizza and a Coke - that was actually well-spent. The #12 came around and got me back downtown, where I waited for the #6. That bus got me to Hitachi and the correct card to collect my pay. Then it was back down town. I had an interview with 5 Below at 2:30, and I had been promised hot water by noon. Well, that was done when I got back here a little after 1 pm. I called 5 Below, and it was decided to move the interview to Wednesday.

I showered and went back out. I headed for Chili's - the #5 to the #3, then a walk to Chili's, after stopping at Lee's Chicken. I still have not had KFC, but I had forgotten how I did like Lee's. I got my check and a text from CC. She wanted to know her next court date. I told her I would look when I got home. Walked over to Northwest Plaza for the #3. I was home a little after 4 pm.

I looked up her info, texted her back. She was all apologetic, even texted the words 'love you' which she has omitted the last few conversations on the phone. The glimpses of her better side have become less and less frequent. I let her have the last text, I did not see the need for wasting more time. KH is partially right about the drugs damaging her; so has her bad health. She no longer even knows she lies.

For the rest of the night, I reworked "Psychotic Ape". Albeit with a detour to the Anderson Herald-Bulletin's obit. It was hard seeing Ray's and Wayne's and Gina's faces.

Email distracted me from time to time.

Another rejection arrived:

Thank you for sending "The Sloe Gin Effect" to BoomerLit. We're passing
on it, but wish you luck placing it elsewhere.

Best,

Adrienne Pilon
Associate Editor

And this morning from The Guardian: Everything But the Girl: Fuse review – still staking out pop’s frontier after 40 years. Not a band I recall from the Eighties, but one I came to learn from WXPN in Philadelphia (yes, you may use to prove there is some good from being in prison). Thorne has a lovely voice. I guess back then I had my ears and eyes on Annie Lennox. Check them out, please. It is not too late!

It was all a very long time ago. Bands who reform decades on from their breakthrough tend to follow a set path: warmly received live shows playing the hits, followed by a new album designed to evoke fond memories of the way they – and their fans – once were. But Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn were never a band minded to abide by anything but a desire, as Thorn once put it, “to defy categorisation even at the risk of losing a guaranteed audience”. Eden established them among a wave of artists dubbed new jazz, but they never made an album that sounded like it again: theirs is a back catalogue in which slick modern soul chafes against kitchen-sink-drama indie and deep house, where lavish 60s orchestrations fight for space with drum’n’bass inspired by Peshay and Alex Reece.

So it is with their unexpected return. Thorn’s ambivalent attitude to live performance – a subject rather sweetly explored on Fuse’s closing track, Karaoke – means there’s no warmly received reunion tour. It bears little more than a superficial similarity to their past work, aside from Thorn’s voice, which has aged in a way that suits her: deeper, a little rougher around the edges, and, if anything, even more careworn. You could argue that it picks up where 1999’s Temperamental left off – it’s definitely the work of the EBTG who were reinvigorated by dance music – but that doesn’t feel quite right. Temperamental was a product of its era, rooted in US house and drum’n’bass. So is Fuse, complete with the developments that have taken place in dance music over the ensuing 24 years.

Also, from The Guardian: Jack Nicholson’s 20 best performances – ranked! . Hard to believe he is almost 86. I have seen about half, and am very glad to see Reds on the list. This was one of the guys I grew up with. I feel old; I am old.

And Christopher Walken is 80.

From Dirt: CREEM returns On the relaunched rock magazine's second issue. What was always my favorite rock magazine.

I got  my card activated for my Hitachi pay. That should come in tomorrow. Wendy's wants me for an interview. The laundry is done. 

I read, from The New Yorker, The Profound Surfaces of Preston Sturges. If you have not seen a Preston Sturges movie, then you know nothing of movies. If you have seen one and not laughed, you are not human.

A good question from Daily Kos: What in the hell is Dick Durbin doing? Once upon a time, Dems knew how to fight. Being nice to a rabid dog will get them a good case of rabies.

Where now?

Yes, last night, I revised "Psychotic Ape", yet I worry that nothing is getting done. I am not sure if I can follow the above advice. Some mornings, it has been, I look up from the computer and I have been awake for 2 hours without accomplishing much. 

Right now, I need to shave and get ready to get out of here and run an errand before an interview for a retail job. I am tempted to stay put. To keep icing my arm and trying to type, and then walk over to the interview around 2:15. Put off the errand until tomorrow, when I have an interview with Wendy's.

What could I accomplish with the time left me, if I stay put?

Well, I stayed put. Yes, I did shave, and I did run down to McClure's for RC Cola ($1.29 for a two liter bottle). 

I worked on "Psychotic Ape." 

Then I walked over to my interview, and then I walked out of the interview. I was there for 25 minutes. There was a person ahead of me. I decided I did not want to work at 5 Below. I walked over to Target for something to eat for dinner, and then back to the room.

 Cancel culture - hard to decide if this was a good thing or not: A Cancelation in 1934.

Read Pieces and Bits What does it take to stage Cresphontes, a lost Euripides tragedy, when all that remains of it are a few fragments of papyrus? if you are interested in archaeology or theater.

Living in a city where there is no full-time independent grocery, I look at the consolidation of Kroger and Albertson's with distrust. Fighting Profiteer Gouging: How About a Consumer-Run 30% Discount Store? by Barbara G. Ellis from Counter Punch only increases my distrust. I aw eggs at Target are a little over $9 per dozen.

Major economic pundits are finally admitting that profiteering has been the principal cause of today’s inflation—as many of us working-class types suspected months ago . It’s not a wage-price spiral, as Federal Reserve chair Jerome Powell keeps insisting, but a price spiral largely set by producers, shippers, and sellers in the goods and service industries. A friend calls it “fake-flation.”

The Federal Reserve decision-makers knew these culprits were to blame, but wanted labor costs to drop so profits could rise as the excuse for raising the interest rates notch by notch ever since. Inflation, Powell warned us, could bring on another Recession leading to the Great Depression of the 1930s if employees were not so greedy.

The Fed and privateers have counted on Americans believing that lie in spite of all the recent strikes against years of stagnant wages, low unemployment rates, and year-end reports of record profits for those businesses and industries in 2022.

####

What if a single, substantial discount price—say a sensational 30 percent—were applied to every item or service at a members-only “People’s Emporium”? What if members didn’t have to buy in bulk, requiring delivery service or need a pickup truck or van to haul away purchases? And clerks wouldn’t be spending half a shift on their knees or up a ladder applying daily price-change tags.

A 30 percent discount would have saved me $1.78 on the oatmeal and $1.14 for yogurt—for a total of $6.86. The savings would not be that minuscule, of course, for an overflowing grocery cart or big-ticket items like refrigerators as shown in the list below.

Retail 30% Emporium

Item Price Discount Price

Groceries $150 $105

Prescriptions 100 70

Bus Pass 30 21

Gas 5 pg 3.50

Auto Services 200 140

Electronic Goods,

Hardware 200 140

Refrigerator 2,000 1,400

Home

Furnishings 150 105

4-pc. patio set 2,250 1,750

Clothing 100 70

Never doubt that most of us could run a big-box discount store. We’ve had a lifetime of experience in shopping at the best and the worst to achieve success, including the size of parking-lot spots and prevention of cart theft. Collectively, a handful of us could indeed start and run a members-only “People’s Emporium.”

Starting one would follow the origins of Costco and Sam’s Club in the 1970s and 1980s. Their founders rounded up enough capital from families and friends, as well as prospective members and lenders to stock, hire, and rent (with option-to-buy) a large building—and sufficient land for deliveries and parking—on the outskirts of town.

All that stands in the way is our timidity.

I have been following Indiana Daily Student for over a year now. It seems to be the only paper left in Bloomington. Not much to read most days, but I am reading this one story and finding it quite impressive. As good or better, so far, as any of the chain papers are doing: Former members of Bloomington's High Rock Church allege spiritual abuse:

In its simplest form, repentance means expressing remorse for a sin and committing to doing better. It is the bedrock of Christianity, allowing imperfect people to still receive salvation. It is the network’s justification to let Morgan remain at the helm of the system.

But on the other side of Morgan’s repentance is a victim struggling to heal. The sister of Morgan’s then-15-year-old victim, who is now in his fifties, said he is still dealing with the psychological aftermath of what was done to him.

Ben Powers, a former pastor at a network church, said Morgan was often compared to the Apostle Paul, whose conversion from a persecutor of Christians to a good man underscores the power of forgiveness.

Both Paul and Morgan wielded tremendous power over the people they led. But Powers and others who left the network do not think Morgan should have this power; Powers said the comparison fails because while Morgan hid his sin, Paul made his sin public.

I know little of Spanish theater, having only read Lorca and having read Lope de Vega wrote more plays than Shakespeare, his contemporary. Today's Times Literary Supplement reported on the English staging of another Spanish playwright, Dreams of the Golden Age A new production of a Spanish classic. Intriguing.

I also learned from the TLS that Jules Verne was censored, Not the premier league, and from, Islam’s great divide, that what I knew about Islam may be wrong.

I am feeling aimless. I had a profitable night last night, or so I think, but have been mired with reading, and that with questionable value for the past 4 hours.

This may make you think I am nuts, but I have a piece, a few sentences, to Colonel Tom. I realized today there was not much about my protagonist's marriage, probably because my original said little about her marriage, and I think I can put it together with how she learned the word that made her daughter cry.

I think a shower is in order.
 
Well, I am showered and have this caught up. Time for Colonel Tom.
 
I finally heard from my counselor. Another interview tomorrow.

sch 9:08 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment