Tuesday, March 7, 2023

4 for Magical Realism

 I jumped into magical realism after reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. A novel I think everyone should read. 

Of Long River Review's 4 Must Reads in Magical Realism, I have read only Marquez's novel, but I did see the film version of Like Water for Chocolate. The writer defines magical realism as

...Magical Realism uses its fantastical elements to ground you further in reality, defying “the real world” while representing it perfectly. It brings poetry to the novel. It paints a surrealist mural with only words...

I am not sure how far we can take the realist novel as a journalistic venture after reading Marquez. Without adding in the imaginative, I think we miss a key component of reality.

sch 3/3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment