Sunday, January 29, 2023

No Sunday Girl

I slept in today, rising about 8.

I ate a light breakfast, wondering when CC would show. Then I set about getting through the email and any blogging I felt needed to be done after that, as I wanted to get to my stories before she showed up to work.

 From The Guardian: Pirate Enlightenment, or the Real Libertalia by David Graeber review – utopia by the sea

 As in his recent blockbuster, The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity, co-authored with David Wengrow – which sets out related arguments on a much larger scale – the chief pleasure of Graeber’s writing is not that one always agrees with his arguments about the past. It is rather that, through a series of provocative thought experiments, he repeatedly forces us to reconsider our own ways of living in the present. Whatever happened in 18th-century Madagascar, Pirate Enlightenment implies, we could surely all do with a bit more free-thinking and egalitarianism in our own social, sexual and political arrangements.

It is 3:03 Pm. I started my laundry, which I meant to do 3 hours ago. I fear too much time has been spent on this blog. Yes, I did fix myself lunch and I did get through a bunch of emails. I had WXRT's Breakfast with The Beatles playing until about 11 am. However, those emails gave me a lot to read today. I could not just delete and go on to my other writing. What I read that I posted on:

Now I have Crap From The Past playing. No CC, so far.

While the clothes dry, I read Blarney The Banshees of Inisherin and the put-on Irishness of Martin McDonagh. from Slate. I liked the movie, I think the Irishness a mere backdrop, and the writer for all his good points may have missed the big one: the stage Irishman is still commercially viable. That familiarity made the rest of the story go down with an easiness for this American.

4:24 and done with the laundry. I just finished reading:

The Pope at War: Pius XII and the Vatican's Secret Archives - new access to papal records leads to a new book that seems to me to end the debate: Pius XII acted cowardly and let people die to protect the Roman Catholic Church as an institution.

9:30 PM:

No CC. I did get a call from my PO about seeing me tomorrow. He wanted to know if I got his email about the new polygraph date - that was a first. I told him I had without adding the polygraph guy and me had set the new date. 

Dinner was hours ago. So was my shower. Almost fell asleep putting a hot compress on my arm.  I watched an hour of Masterpiece Mystery before finally getting to my stories. I revised the ending of "Road Tripping" with the help of The Cramps. Which has been sent to KH for his opinion.

I submitted "Best of Intentions" to The Georgia Review.

The laundry got put away, and now I am thinking of getting dressed. No, I am going off to McClure's - I am out of RC Cola.

Then back to make a revision - an excision - to "Exemplary Employee"  before calling it a night. I will go to work tomorrow to make up for being gone on Thursday. My PO sounded a bit befuddled when I told him I would be doing this, as if he did not understand I could not afford to miss two days of work. Ah, the benefits of having a government job! He surprised me by not being here last week. I expected him before the polygraph.

As for my Sunday girl, a little Blondie:


sch 9:52


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment