Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Another Tricky Day

 Just when I think all is going well, the hip gets worse. I will be going to the doctor today.

Waiting on a call back from the doctor, I did some reading and deleting emails.

From Driftwood, and thanks to my sister, I read America’s Son​ | Who’s Afraid of Hunter Biden?. I am not seeing him as a danger to the republic, but what a screw-up! 

I am a little shy about this one, but Orthodox Prison Ministries helped me in Fort Dix, and now they are promoting a charity, Storybook Connections, and other new and upcoming prison ministry programs. If you can, thanks.

A lot to digest in The Bulwark's Trump Will Burn It All Down. I do not see why Trump does not start his own political party - other than he wants to own the GOP brand. Then, too, he has been so successful with his businesses.

The Horny Body Problem by Meg Elison from Uncanny Magazine Issue Forty-Nine takes an interesting approach to short stories and science:

Short stories are a lot like sex. There are only so many variations of what you can do, writer tops reader, reader comes hungry to bottom. But every angle seems inventive, every person brings their own art to both writing and reading that it feels new every time. We can write in teams and read in groups; threesomes and orgies and the sly pass of a story from one person to be enjoyed by the next. The indulgence is undeniable—it isn’t a novel. A novel is a long-term relationship. A short story is as quick and satisfying as a handjob and takes about the same length of time to complete once the parts come together. A friend once sent me a story with the caveat that she was so obsessed with it, so shamefully entranced, that she felt as though by asking me to read it she was suggesting that I smell her fingers.

She provides links to stories along with colorful commentary. I admit trying to apply the quote to my own short stories. Not seeing, yet, but I get the point. 

Especially with this rejection of "Colonel Tom," am I beginning to get a sense of the point made by Ms. Elison:

Thank you for sending us "Colonel Tom." We appreciated the chance to read it. Although there was a lot to like here, it didn't quite come together for us in the end, and we regret to pass.


Thanks again for thinking of us. Best of luck with this!

Sincerely,

The editors at jmww

I have fiddled with the ending, not so much changing it as trying to sharpen it, that this note makes me think I have still missed the mark. 

"Problem Solving" also got a rejection today: 

Thank you for sending us your work. We appreciate the opportunity to read your submission, but unfortunately, it's not quite right for us. Best of luck publishing this elsewhere.


Sincerely,
The Editors
Yalobusha Review

Second Harvest Food Bank ECI needs volunteers in Anderson on 11/18.

I checked on the Herald-Bulletin, and saw Solar panels’ move to cost Daleville about $25K. There is a cost, but what is the benefit? I remain convinced we can do more with solar power, and that it can be profitable. Would that the reporter thought to find out what were the benefits, I would think this would explain the purpose of Daleville installing the solar panels.

I have 30 minutes before catching the next #5 bus. See you later.

And to keep exposing my influences:


 

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment