Friday, November 11, 2022

A Free Idea for Getting Convicts Back Into Society 4/26/2010

 Remember that I am in a facility that is a work release/re-entry facility. About all I have been hearing is how hard it is to find a job and how the facility works better as a jail instead of a re-entry facility. Which got me thinking a bit last night.

Non-profit agencies lack the spark, the understanding of what a for-profit business needs. Government bureaucrats come from the same mold as not-for-profit agency types. They are all bottom kissing cousins.

Which leaves us with a for-profit business. The problem is that for-profit businesses are not into altruism.

So, take an Indiana favorite: a public/private partnership. Because the capital needs a source.

What we are looking at is a privately held corporation funded by tax dollars with the purpose of employing convicts needing work. Capital contributions can be paid off, as with any corporation. The board and shareholders will have their usual duties and obligations as set out by state law. I would also suggest ab Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP). The day-to-day running of the business must pas into the hands of the convicts.

Why do I see this as an advantage? Let me kick out these points for consideration:

  1. Convicts will deal more easily with other convicts than non-convicts deal with them. This should translate to higher chances of better retention. 
  2. By being a for-profit business, the seriousness level increases for both the company and for its employees. If the employees fail, so does the company. From what I see here, it is not a matter of life and or death how many inmates keep their jobs. Could it be they figure there will be more and more government money coming their way? Success is measured by charitable contributions and government grants, instead of convicts gainfully employed.
  3. Work does more for character than idleness. Trite but true.
  4. Why an ESOP? This gives the employee a stake in the business and therefore a stake in society.

Is this a cure-all? No. If ever I recommend a cure-all, you will know I have truly lost my mind. This solution will not work for all - some will never come to work. This is for those who need this kind of help to change their lives. They deserve the opportunity to use their abilities towards in a socially positive way.

Eventually, the governmental providers of capital should get their money back and get out. That leaves the operation in the hands of its employees. 

sch

[Another where I may have overstretched a bit, but only a bit. My own experiences with the Volunteers of America in trying to find me employment - they were hapless at best - I detail under the topic of Half-Way House Life. You may want to peruse those notes to see how the system did not improve during my time away in prison. My notes under Supervised Release show what my employment history has been - albeit I have a further problem of not being allowed near unmonitored computers. I will add an observation I made in prison: some of my fellow inmates liked the criminal life, some of the inmates wanted out of the criminal life without knowing how they could do so, and a small minority had the will and the knowledge to change their lives. The government was of absolutely no help to the last two groups. I still think helping former inmates into their own businesses makes sense if the goal is to reduce the criminal population. It is a capitalist solution. sch 10/9/22.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment