Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Hope as a Moral Duty

Serendipidity is a strong force. In Lea Ypi: ‘Hope is a moral duty’I found a duccinct statement of what has been on my mind.

Your grandmother said: “Hope is something you have to fight for. But there comes a point when it turns into illusion.” What did you hope for as a child? What do you hope for now? And is hope for our planet an illusion?
... What I hope now is, actually, not too dissimilar: I want to be a good, responsible member of society and to promote freedom. I have a philosophical answer to the last part of the question. Hope is a moral duty – we have to act as though there is the chance of things going in a way that is favourable to what we want to achieve. If we were nihilistic, we couldn’t uphold that sense of duty.

My depression led me to think there was no hope - no hope to live the life I thought I wanted, no hope for humanity in general, no hope for justice, no hope for peace in my life. The list goes on. Once started with that kind if thinking, then the nihilism/depression becomes an avalanche. Duty does go by the wayside.

If I had talked to anyone of what I was thinking. If had sought out medical  care. If I had been on Xoloft back then. But I lacked the wits or the backbone or the sanity to do any if this. 

If you think life is hopeless, do not follow my example.

Her answer also fits in with I have posted here on the subject of nihilism. For those articles, please click on the Philosophy link below.

sch 6/4/22

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment