Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Writing, Not the Publishing

Call bucking up the purpose of this post. This being how I read Melissa Huckaby's Creation is the Point: Overcoming Comparison and Inadequacy as Writers. These are the points that hit home the hardest for me:

...And it often gets in the way of discovering and developing a different voice—our authentic, artistic voice, the one we want to tap into as writers. For me, it also fuels a persistent tension between a desire to “prove myself” as a writer and a drive to become the best writer I can, however my work is received.

*** 

...The imposter syndrome, the fear of failure, the fear of rejection stopped me before I even started. Escaping was easier, and perhaps it’s necessary for a while....

***

...Poet and activist Audre Lorde said, “I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood.” Lorde’s words helped me remember why I’m a writer in the first place: because I need to speak about what is most important, not for a particular result....

 The writing is one thing. Publishing is another. Yes, it would be good for my bank account to sell a story. Better for my soul to write as well as I can.

sch 4/7/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment