Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Writing: Reading Wide

Writer Digest's Writing Mistakes Writers Make: Dismissing Other Genres by Moriah Richard is another variation on a lesson taught me: writers must read. It also fits into what I have tried doing for myself since I started writing again. That is reminding myself and showing you that we cannot let ourselves or others cramp our creativity.

All this to say that I wouldn’t be the fiction writer I am today if I had only focused on reading and studying fiction. Even if you don’t have the opportunity to take classes or go to conferences to learn about different genres, there are plenty of ways you can branch out on your reading and open your mind to what you could be missing.

The author offers three genres to read for improving one's fiction: Poetry, Nonfiction, and Scripts. I read a little of poetry (enough to know I am not s poet), a lot of non-fiction (where I get some of my ideas), and I have always read plays. There are links in the article for in-depth examples.

sch

1/29/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment