Friday, February 25, 2022

Books: Black History - Harlem Renaissance

A list coming from The Rumpus'd WHAT TO READ WHEN YOU WANT TO CELEBRATE THE HARLEM RENAISSANCE:

The Harlem Renaissance ushered in the rise of Black authors such as Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Claude McKay, Countee Cullen, and Nella Larsen. They each gave voice to what it means to have hopes and dreams while living with the pressures of racism. They became my ancestral mentors as I ventured to write a hopeful story about a Black woman in the 1920s who dreamed of being a writer.

Each book that I have chosen for this list helped me to celebrate Black creativity and to write with power about what it means to be Black woman with a dream.

At least I knew most of these writers even though I have read only Langston Hughes and Zora Neale Hurston.

sch

2/15/22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment