Friday, November 26, 2021

Imprisoned Writers

How Prison Writers Strugge to be Heard needs to be read since I can extract portions for quotations. Understand that things are worse for federal prisoners. No computer tablets there. Fort Dix FCI did not lie having computers for long distance educational purposes. I had a page from my journal disappear during a search. I know of another inmate who used the email to send to his wife for typing and then receiving a manuscript he was collaborating with another inmate and which manuscript had some criticism of the prison's captain of guards and who got hauled into a personal conference with that same captain - emails being monitored by the prison.

The federal government has me under court supervision. I told my probation officer that I needed a computer to convert my longhand manuscripts. He said that would be a problem if I were writing erotica (the government having a one track mind about my mind,). At another time he reminded me that any thumb drive I acquired would be subject to search by him. Yes, I remain subject to searches as I was in prison. My sex offender counselor (as of today, 11/19/2021) threatens me with a complete ban of the internet. That will be the end of this blog. I make these points not for myself but to point how the control of correctional officials continues after prison.

What is important to know is there is evidence of creative writing as a way to reduce recidivism. See this article.

But who benefits from not refuding repeat offenders?

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment