Saturday, November 27, 2021

Black Friday

Saturday morning looking back on yesterday. Yesterday as in when "All my troubles seemed so far away…." I could barely walk today after of last night's work - the hip and back again. Before that the low point was my having a brief telephone chat with my counselor. Such s lack of charm, she must be good at what she does.

I started the day by doing my laundry.


KH came into town. He took me to lunch at Red Lobster. It was the first time I had been at the Muncie Red Lobster since the New Year's Eve with A and Jenny. That was the first time A had lobster. I had not seen him since, I think, 2008. His hair is graying and looks so much older. Another reminder time is running out. He told me what he had seen of Anderson - more confirmation the place has run down. I told him about the counselor. He perked up when I told she had mentioned a $20 hour job. After a very good lunch (steaks for both us with lobster and fish for me; at a price that gave me a start; and in sizes I thought were smaller than I recalled from my pre-incarceration days). I had him go downtown to show him what had bowed me about Muncie. We hit two shops (just now I realized I should have taken photos). He made a couple of purchases at one. We ended at the map story. He bought me a copy Middletown. That will be useful for my "Chasing Ashes."

Then we came back to my room. He will try to the stories of my mine that he had out and about as soon as I give him dome destinations. His eyes went a little wide when he saw the manuscript for "A Reasonable Facsimile of Family" as it is all in longhand. Then he departed for the west. He would later meet up with my sister to deliver her a laptop so I can turn all that handwriting into a marketable document. He forgot his copy of Raintree County.

The weather tempted me to ride the bus but I got reading Dos Passos and walked instead. It was not as bad as I thought it might be. The bad came when the evening dishwasher called in sick. His seventeen year old took over the spot. The counselor said I would need a safety plan if I worked with teenagers. I agree. The kid about killed me. He was not to the job. He did not move fast enough. I took over and got a bunch done and then he wanted to finish up. I was scheduled until midnight, did not leave until one with soggy shoes. We left a pile of dishes. I expect an irate morning dishwasher when I show up at 4 pm.

I do not expect to leave my bed for another two and a half hours. I am taking the bus today. Until then I will finish listening to WMBR, read my email and some more of Dos Passos. I am getting attached to my tube of Ben-Gay and hope it will not bother my fellow bus riders. Upside to my pain is I will have a week's rent after tomorrow night.

sch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment