Thursday, August 19, 2021

Fantasyland, Part 7

 Kurt Andersen has a call to arms lacking in  Lepore's These Truths: A History of the United States (Norton, 2018), but then he is writing a polemic. 

But it will require a struggle to try to make America reality-based again. We few, we happy few, we band of sisters and brothers - in fact, we're not really so few. Fight the good fight in your private life. You needn't get into an argument with a stranger who claims George Soros and Uber are conspiring to make his muscle car illegal, but do not give acquaintances and friends and family members free passes. If you have children or grandchildren, teach them to distinguish between true or false as fiercely as you do between right and wrong or between foolish and wise. We need to adopt new protocols for information media hygiene The same goes for what you read and watch and believe.

 Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire: A 5000 Year History (2017; Random House, 2018); p. 440 

And there I will end my quoting.

 Maybe I gave you enough to get you reading Andersen for yourself. 

More importantly - be rational. I was not, I know what it's like to lose one's self in irrationality. I was not treating my depression - see what that did for my life. You do better than I did.

I do suggest you study the Orthodox Christian Church. [It has its own wiki.]

Happy St. Patrick's Day. LOL

sch

3/17/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment