Thursday, July 1, 2021

Technology Sucks

Yesterday, I was to collect money from Western Union (thanks, KH) and get computer access. Neither happened.

I could not get logged onto the VOA's computers. neither could my case manager. [Yes, I did finally figure out how - thanks to another inmate and reading the login instructions.]

KH directed to me to Dollar General store at 135 N. Pennsylvania. In the real world that was now a Jimmy Johns and the Dollar General was now a DGX around the corner on Ohio Street. Luckily one of the Jimmy Johns workers relied upon her own knowledge and not the internet. Upon arriving at the DGX, I found out their Western Union Terminal was down.

I hung around the DGX until I finally asked the clerk if he knew if there were other Western Union terminals nearby. He thought the Big Red's liquor store down the street might have one. It did not. I did notice that it had Arturo Fuentes cigars. A valuable find since Hardwick's no longer has its store jus toff the Circle. 

Walking back from the Big Red's I got very annoyed at my not having access to the internet or a telephone. I believe civilization will come to regret the phone books' extinction. Along with malfunctioning computer terminals at the VOA and at the DGX have left me finding the Luddites had a point. 

In direct response to this stress I bought a pint of ice cream at the DGX. I used the lid as a spoon, something I learned in prison. I strode through downtown Indianapolis looking very much the derelict.

Maybe the ice cream gave me the idea of trying Kroger's. Twenty years ago I wired money to CC from Kroger's. Turned out the Kroger's at West Michigan and Senate did have a Western Union Terminal. I also found out the store would not take my BOP issued picture ID as a government issued ID. I wanted a cigarette or something to break as I walked back to the halfway house.

[Yes, I did not follow my pas strictly and I apologize for endangering the safety and welfare of the citizens of Indianapolis.]

Back at the VOA and I learned from another inmate how he had had no longer logging into the computers and gave me more doubts about my case manager.

I accomplished two things yesterday. First, I wrote a letter to the Grant County Health Department (and it was a legible letter). Second, I've decided it is time to stop trying to color between the lines.. The halfway house does not enforce its rules and I do not see how it will help me transition back into civil society, What does help me in that transition is in my best interests. I cannot continue being a burden to my few remaining friends. The halfway house has been at best unconcerned about me getting my license even though so long as I walk the streets of Indianapolis without a valid state ID I am committing a crime. Is not the purpose of this place to keep me from committing further crimes? 

Another lesson learned yesterday: the social exclusion explicit in the lack of technology.

sch

6/5/21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment