Sunday, July 25, 2021

A Chaotic Post on Writing

 What I just read on The Millions site yesterday under the headline Ferocious and Violent: The Millions Interviews Rachel Yoder isn't chaotic but I really do not know how to pigeonhole the following:

TM: For as much as art and family are in conflict for the mother protagonist, they are also often in service of one another. Is the crux of art built on or made from relationships?

RY: The crux of everything is relationships! Consciousness is a tool for wielding metaphor, which is just another way of saying that we make meaning by actively and seriously negotiating our relationships. Recently, I’ve been experimenting with curiosity and bringing a spirit of curiosity to troubled relationships, and that really does seem to have cracked something open for me, the process of asking earnest, open-hearted questions in the face of relational dysfunction. And isn’t this truly what storytelling is, an exploration of the relationship of characters, of themes, of ideas?

TM: From a craft point of view, you made an interesting decision to keep most of the characters in the novel unnamed. What led to that choice and how did it shape the book?

RY: The only reason I started out this way is because it felt right. I didn’t interrogate the decision too much. I don’t think I ever considered giving the characters names, or if I tried to, it immediately felt incorrect. Now, it seems to me that I wanted to keep these characters as close to archetypes as possible because I was more interested in the ideas they were animating rather than the specifics of their knowable realities. Certainly they do have socioeconomic and historical and racial contexts, because the book is being written from within those frames, but I wanted the main character as Mother and Artist/Creator and Wife to be front and center, because these features are most salient in regard to the ideas I wanted to explore and animate.

I read something else recently about relationships and that hit home because of what I am doing in "No Clean Slates" and even in "Chasing Ashes".  And to be freed from naming everyone I've enjoyed with my attempts at playwriting and have been tempted to do with my prose thanks to Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op stories and Len Deighton's early spy novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment